Perform data and object maintenance activities for multiple software applications. Plan, coordinate, maintain, and sample data accuracy. Perform systems security activities, including creating new user accounts, deleting expired accounts, and modifying user rights. Assist in the development, testing, and implementation of new applications.
- Expand or modify system to serve new purposes or improve work flow.
- Test, maintain, and monitor computer programs and systems, including coordinating the installation of computer programs and systems.
- Develop, document and revise system design procedures, test procedures, and quality standards.
- Provide staff and users with assistance solving computer related problems, such as malfunctions and program problems.
- Review and analyze computer printouts and performance indicators to locate code problems, and correct errors by correcting codes.
- Consult with management to ensure agreement on system principles.
- Confer with clients regarding the nature of the information processing or computation needs a computer program is to address.
- Read manuals, periodicals, and technical reports to learn how to develop programs that meet staff and user requirements.
- Coordinate and link the computer systems within an organization to increase compatibility and so information can be shared.
- Determine computer software or hardware needed to set up or alter system.
- Complex Problem Solving — Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- improvements or take corrective action.
- Operations Analysis — Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Systems Analysis — Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Backup or archival software — Acronis Recovery Expert; BMC Software Control-M software; Legato NetWorker; Oracle Data Guard
- Data base management system software — Microsoft SQL Server; MySQL software; Quest Central; Sybase Replication Server
- Metadata management software — Data mapping software; Data modeling software; IBM Rational Data Architect; Visual Paradigm DB Visual ARCHITECT
- Object or component oriented development software — C++; Microsoft Visual C# .NET; Practical extraction and reporting language Perl; Sybase PowerBuilder
- Operating system software — DOS shell script; Microsoft Windows; Shell script; UNIX
- Considerable Preparation Needed
- Education: Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
- Related Experience: A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.
- Job Training: Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Job Zone Examples: Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include accountants, sales managers, database administrators, teachers, chemists, environmental engineers, criminal investigators, and special agents.
- Specific Vocational Preparation in years: (7.0 to < 8.0)