Manage the retention and preparation of tax records, tax returns, and other required reports. Assess the impact of the organization’s tax liability. Oversee tax accounting staff. Recommend strategies to reduce the organization’s tax debt. Adhere to all federal, state, local, or international tax laws.
- Compute taxes owed or overpaid, using adding machines or personal computers, and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables.
- Prepare or assist in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses.
- Use all appropriate adjustments, deductions, and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum.
- Interview clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances.
- Review financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to determine forms needed to prepare tax returns.
- Furnish taxpayers with sufficient information and advice to ensure correct tax form completion.
- Consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to determine procedures for preparation of atypical returns.
- Calculate form preparation fees according to return complexity and processing time required.
- Check data input or verify totals on forms prepared by others to detect errors in arithmetic, data entry, or procedures.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving — Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Mathematics — Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Accounting software — ATX Total Accounting Office; Intuit QuickBooks software; Intuit Quicken software; M8 Client Billing software
- Document management software — Laserfiche Avante
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Financial analysis software — Datair Employee Benefits Systems software; Sales Tax Tools Sales Tax Researcher; Sungard Relius software; Sync Essentials Trade Accountant
- Project management software — ACI TaskTracker; Sage CPAPractice Manager
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel; Thomson GoSystem MyTaxInfo
- Tax preparation software — ATX Total Tax Office; CCH ProSystem fx TAX; Creative Solutions UltraTax CS; Datagroup ElectroFile 1040
- Title: Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed
- Education: Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
- Related Experience: Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
- Job Training: Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.
- Job Zone Examples: These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include food service managers, electricians, agricultural technicians, legal secretaries, interviewers, and insurance sales agents.
- Specific Vocational Preparation in years: (6.0 to < 7.0)