Coordinate the payroll activities of one or multiple departments. Compile and record employee time and payroll data. May compute employees’ time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions, or prepare paychecks.
- Review time sheets, work charts, wage computation, and other information to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies.
- Process paperwork for new employees and enter employee information into the payroll system.
- Verify attendance, hours worked, and pay adjustments, and post information onto designated records.
- Compute wages and deductions, and enter data into computers.
- Record employee information, such as exemptions, transfers, and resignations, to maintain and update payroll records.
- Process and issue employee paychecks and statements of earnings and deductions.
- Keep track of leave time, such as vacation, personal, and sick leave, for employees.
- Compile employee time, production, and payroll data from time sheets and other records.
- Distribute and collect timecards each pay period.
- Issue and record adjustments to pay related to previous errors or retroactive increases.
- Economics and Accounting — Knowledge of accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Law and Government — Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Mathematics — Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Accounting software — Accurate NXG; Blackbaud The Financial Edge; FlexiLedger software; Intuit Quicken software
- Compliance software — Corporate Responsibility System Technologies Limited CRSTL Compliance Positioning System; FLS eDP.Payrolltax; Intrax ProcedureNet; Paisley Cardmap
- Accounting software — Intuit QuickBooks software; Intuit Quicken software
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook; Novell GroupWise
- Human resources software — ADP Enterprise HRMS; API Navigator; Human Resource MicroSystems HR Entre; Sage Abra HRMS
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Time accounting software — ADP eTIME; Unitime Systems Software; Virtual Software Virtual Timecard; WorkForce Software EmpCenter Time and Attendance
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
- Title: Job Zone Two: Some Preparation Needed
- Education: These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
- Related Experience: Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is usually needed. For example, a teller would benefit from experience working directly with the public.
- Job Training: Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.
- Job Zone Examples: These occupations often involve using your knowledge and skills to help others. Examples include sheet metal workers, forest fire fighters, customer service representatives, physical therapist aides, salespersons (retail), and tellers.
- Specific Vocational Preparation in years: (4.0 to < 6.0)