Make phone calls with the intention of selling a product, service or to schedule appointments. Must be able to follow scripts and respond to objections in a natural and persuasive manner.
- Deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, in order to persuade potential customers to purchase a product or service or to make a donation.
- Contact businesses or private individuals by telephone in order to solicit sales for goods or services, or to request donations for charitable causes.
- Explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from customers.
- Obtain customer information such as name, address, and payment method, and enter orders into computers.
- Record names, addresses, purchases, and reactions of prospects contacted.
- Adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals.
- Obtain names and telephone numbers of potential customers from sources such as telephone directories, magazine reply cards, and lists purchased from other organizations.
- Answer telephone calls from potential customers who have been solicited through advertisements.
- Telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from customers or to follow up initial sales contacts.
- Maintain records of contacts, accounts, and orders.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion — Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation — Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness — Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Contact center software — Avaya software; Multi-channel contact center software; Timpani Contact Center; Timpani Email
- Customer relationship management CRM software — Austin Logistics CallSelect; Avidian Technologies Prophet; SSA Global software; Telemation e-CRM
- Electronic mail software — Astute Solutions PowerCenter; IBM Lotus Notes; Microsoft Outlook
- Network conferencing software — Active Data Online WebChat; eStara Softphone; Parature eRealtime; Timpani Chat
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Title: Job Zone Two: Some Preparation Needed
- Education: These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
- Related Experience: Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is usually needed. For example, a teller would benefit from experience working directly with the public.
- Job Training: Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.
- Job Zone Examples: These occupations often involve using your knowledge and skills to help others. Examples include sheet metal workers, forest fire fighters, customer service representatives, physical therapist aides, salespersons (retail), and tellers.
- Specific Vocational Preparation in years: (4.0 to < 6.0)